...observations and ramblings from a learner and traveler...

25 May 2006

Advice on Ramen

As I was advising a friend this evening on the details of making Ramen properly, he suggested that I publish a post on it. Therefore, my dear readers, you are the beneficent recipients of my sage wisdom on the culinary delicacies of extracting the most luscious and delectables savors from that package of "stuff."

There are a variety of ways to cook Ramen; you must however, experiment with all of them in order to find out which best suits your ideal. First, do you like your noodles limp or sturdy? I like mine sturdier; thus, it is necessary that I not allow them to be boiled with the water, but rather I place mine in the water after it has been sufficiently heated. If however, you prefer a limp, lifeless noodle, then by all means, subject your Ramen to the heating process as well as the heat.
Second, decide upon the appropriate method of heating your Ramen. When the options are a hot pot or the microwave, I recommend the hot pot. This is due to the fact that the water will boil faster. However, if you want limp noodles, use the microwave and cook the noodles in the water. (Note: when microwaving the water, remember the time constraints that you are under. If you are in a hurry, don't boil it for more than 1:10. The water gets too hot for immediate consumption. If you have time, do it for 1:30 or more; the resulting Ramen is better, but you have to wait a few minutes to eat it - unless you want to burn your tasting organism.) During the time the water is heating, make the noodles whatever size you prefer to eat; I have grown to prefer my noodles well broken, but that is an acquired taste. Experiment.
Third, once your water has been heated, decide upon a proper receptacle in which to mingle it and the "stuff." (If you microwaved it, you probably already made this choice, but read this anyway.) The container into which you pour your scalding hot water needs to be big enough so that you don't slosh on yourself, yet practical for eating out of. I prefer an average bowl or cup. However, especially when done in plastic, boiling water or microwaving can have detrimental effects upon the plastic. Finally, remember CONTENTS ARE HOT; don't burn yourself being messy.
Fourth, decide how much of the seasoning you want to use. If you are having Chicken or Beef, I recommend the whole package. For the rest, I recommend part of the package, but that's because I don't like their flavors. However, I highly recommend Chicken, and Beef makes a good alternate.
Fifth, eat. Friends make the best Ramen better, so have two packages and mock them for making theirs wrong.
Sixth, rinse your container. But not too thoroughly, if you leave some Ramen grease in there, you'll be reminded of the delicious meal again, whenever you use the container. I am frequently reminded of my Ramen during a drink of water... (I know that's gross.)
Anyways, have fun. If you read the whole thing you are either bored or amused.
Matthew

4 comments:

  1. amused yes. Bored -- how can you be with such stupidly colorful words describing ramen of all things! YOu need a life champlin!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thoroughly amused! I shall try your recipe on my husband this week and see what he thinks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely amused. Indeed. I never adventured into the Ramen world in 4 years of dorm life. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm...and I thought college students ate ramen because it was simple

    ReplyDelete