...observations and ramblings from a learner and traveler...

19 November 2011

the Image

  One of the most important theological truths in my life for the past year has been "...God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them." (Gen 1:27 ESV)  This is by no means a new concept; I was thoroughly taught the theological implications of it in my formal biblical studies. Plus, I have been familiar with the truth and its basic implications since I was a child.  God made us to be correspond to Him in many of His perfections.  Consider two current personal illustrations:

1.  I have not practically lived out the implications of the image of God very well personally.  In other words, I have often doubted who God made me: I didn't necessarily fight who I was, I just didn't believe in His image in me enough to pursue the design He had placed in me.  I do not have the normal abilities for what I plan to do in my life. Yet, if I am following the direction that God has led and if He truly designed me to reflect certain aspects of Himself (however imperfect that reflection actually is), then I will find that the direction, the abilities and the desires which He has and is giving me will match.  This has helped to direct our path as we leave our home and trek towards a new home and the journey that awaits there.  We were designed for this!

2.  A second area has emerged from what was originally a community Bible study but continued in my personal study... thoughts from Ephesians 5: what would it look like if we as husbands really sought to build up our wives as Jesus builds the Church.  It would be thorough; it would be for their benefit; it would be beautiful; it would be in the same way Christ loved.  But the Image of God... what if I learn to love the reflections of Himself that God had designed in Bethany as well as those in me?  What if the image of God were evenly and equally displayed in our home and marriage? 

No comments:

Post a Comment