...observations and ramblings from a learner and traveler...

03 December 2013

Peace to Deserters

Jesus answered them, “Do you now believe? Behold, the hour is coming, indeed it has come, when you will be scattered, each to his own home, and will leave me alone. Yet I am not alone, for the Father is with me. I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” (John 16:31-33, esv) 

These verses reminded me again of the awesomeness of the grace of God, as Jesus says to His closest earthly friends that in His hour of need, they are about to abandon Him. Then, He immediately assures them that the Father will not abandon Him, and so they (the ones about to desert Him to His enemies) may be at peace. In the moment of their abandoning Him, He desires their peace, not abandoning them in any way! Incredible grace, amazing love, indescribable mercy, all to the unfaithful friends. What verses of hope and love and goodness!

In this world, we will have troubles, but those troubles are not meant to disrupt our peace because our Leader has defeated the world, has removed the abandonment we deserved, and has purchased our peace. In spite of us. For us. Unto us...

No comments:

Post a Comment