...observations and ramblings from a learner and traveler...

02 February 2020

The Gifts of a True Friend, with Gratitude

  For the last 4-5 years, I have received a gift, once or twice a year, from a friend. It is a book. That is, in itself, in no way unusual. In fact, throughout my life, I have probably been given more books than any other single item. And I always have a list of more books that I could learn from or enjoy besides all the ones that I re-read. This friend is unusual though: she doesn't check my wishlist or preferences, and she doesn't simply give her favorite books. Every year, she selects a book or two for me, and selecting a book for a person is much harder than you might think. Furthermore, her selections are almost never in the same categories as previous gifts - modern or classical fiction, biography, biblical study, and devotional books have all been selected. 

 Naturally, I make a point to read the books since she chooses them to share specific wisdom and insight which I can benefit from. Each book has the real potential to expand my horizons in some way based on the conversations we have shared. In other words, these are rare gifts! I do not know how much time or thought or effort it takes for her to decide on each book, but I am thankful for it and for the true friendship it reflects. 

************

 At the moment, I am reading The Chosen by Chaim Potok, a book that I started and put down in high school, but which she re-recommended (and loaned) to me. Again, it has been worthwhile companion. Somewhat more than halfway through it, I see it as an exploration of friendship through both similarities and differences; it is also about fathers and sons. We'll see what the rest of the book holds, but for now I will end with a(n unrelated) quote from it.

But that is the way the world is. If a person has a contribution to make, he must make it in public. If learning is not made public, it is a waste.
~ Chaim Potok, The Chosen

No comments:

Post a Comment