...observations and ramblings from a learner and traveler...

21 February 2013

Unknown Bread

In John 6, Jesus feeds over 5,000 people miraculously, then discusses the true nature and meaning of that provision by God.  He references God's miraculous provision detailed in Exodus 17 and Numbers 11.  But, Jesus says that the truly unknown bread (manna) is He Himself, the true life-giving Bread of God from Heaven.

Jesus takes the metaphor that the people referenced and turns it into an important illustration of Gospel truth.  God, the Father of His people, had sent bread down from heaven to feed the hungry.  He sent the true Life-giving bread to feed those with a greater hunger. 

But consider the older story: Even though God's people ate angels' food, they murmured (Ps 78:25)!  Have I ever gotten bored or dissatisfied with the Bread of Life that came down from Heaven?  Have I ever considered my portion poor because He was the portion I had?  How can one redeemed be so ungrateful!  Lord, that I might be unceasingly grateful for your bountiful and constant provision; may the constancy of it not lull me into in gratitude and idolatry.

No comments:

Post a Comment