...observations and ramblings from a learner and traveler...

12 October 2006

The privilege of serving the wicked?!

Dear friends, I tell you of something today that has stirred my heart and mind since I received it yesterday afternoon. I was sent an email update from Miss Anne (Dreisbach), who has worked down river from my family for years. For over 25 years, she has served in the deep jungles of Suriname as a single, nurse-midwife. I don't think I have ever seen any other person from outside a culture loved by the people as she is loved by all those on the river, saved or unsaved. And yet, she has experienced tremendous opposition, and the forces of darkness have done their utmost to destroy her work and her life. She has been in danger much; she has suffered physical hardship and ailment regularly. And I have not heard complain even once that it is too much. But, through all this, her people continue to reject the God whom she tells them of, and those who do receive Him have not followed wholly after the Lord as she has. And so, yesterday, when I got her update (which I am going to post, if she gives me permission), and read of the most recent works of God and Satan in her area, I was deeply effected by this statement.

"I am amazed that God would count me worthy to live and serve among such despicable heathenism."


Friends, how do we cultivate such a heart-understanding of the gloriousness of the Gospel ministry, that we can look at the task given to us as something of which we are unworthy? How do I get beyond the pride that tells me I am doing something noble in going to the lost? How do I really grasp that God has honored me with far more than I deserve when He allows me to serve those who have rebelled against Him?
My analysis of all this is that those of whom the world is not worthy realize that they are unworthy as well for they serve the only One Who is worthy. Finally, this passage comes to mind in regard to these things. "And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry." (I Tim. 1:12 KJV)

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, my friend. Humbling thoughts because of a glorious God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still a very convicting thought-- one that has not left my mind since we discussed it the other day. By His grace... and His grace alone

    ReplyDelete