...observations and ramblings from a learner and traveler...

15 June 2007

Current Politics

Well, since I've started to blog for the evening, I might as well continue. And I've been doing some reading and thinking about politics recently, so I guess I'll post about that, since I haven't for a while.

Two big issues in US political news right now (there could be others (like Iraq), but these are the ones I feel like mentioning.) :)
1. Immigration - Is the current bill any good? Well, do you mean the old current bill or the new one? This is just my opinion, but: close the border tight; set up penalties that must be paid by the illegals; have them learn English; and then let them be citizens. Amnesty happens every time someone new sneaks over the border and we don't stop them. The issue is not amnesty per se; it is whether we are willing to close the border. I don't think any of the "anti-amnesty" crowd REALLY think that we can ship 12-20 million people out of our country. Just think about what percentage of our workforce that is, and then decide that we need those workers. However, we have to close the border and keep it that way, including backing the Border Patrol agents when they enforce the border.
2. November 2008 - The '08 campaign is already on, unfortunately.
Regarding the Democrats, I've been quite surprised how popular Barrack Obama has been. I don't know if he can keep it up (Howard Dean, anyone?), but if he can, he can beat the other Democrat candidates.
Regarding the Republicans, I've been disappointed in those who are officially running. I think the most I can say is that I would think about voting for some of them. However, former Senator Fred Thompson will most likely announce his candidacy soon, and he seems to be a true conservative. He talks conservative at every level that I've heard; he is a thinker; and he is electable. Plus, he has a career in law and government before his time in acting. So, for now, I think he's the best choice, and here's his website. Maybe third-party won't be the best choice after all.

1 comment:

  1. Though, if we could manage to ship out 12-20 million illegal aliens, just think of how many more jobs Americans could have! Supposedly many of them are ones that no American wants, but I find that hard to believe.

    We'd have to form a brute squad to do it! Fezzik! We need you! :o)

    btw... liked that one post about email!

    ReplyDelete