...observations and ramblings from a learner and traveler...

05 April 2010

Christians at the Borders, Literal and Metaphorical

   A couple of friends have already blogged about this, but I thought I'd add a few thoughts to the immigration discussion.

 Tonight, I finished Dr. Danny Carroll's book Christians at the Border, which I think can best be described as a quietly reasoned plea for Christians of all origins in the United States to base their thinking on the volatile topic of immigration on the Word of God, not their political, economic, or social backgrounds.

The purpose of the book is not to solve the myriad of real problems found in the immigration discussion; it is to re-orient believers to what the Word says.  Personally, I have long felt instinctively that there was a Gospel way of approaching this topic which was being completely ignored; this book helped throw some light on why I sensed this: the Bible is a book that is completely relevant to the discussion, starting from Genesis 1, not just from Romans 13. 
I would highly recommend the book to anyone seeking to consider this issue as a Christian.

   Finally, I will add a few of my own thoughts on the topic.  Is it ok to break the laws of a nation where you are not a citizen?  If so, why are we concerned about the illegality of Central American citizens crossing into our country?  If not, is it right to smuggle Bibles into countries where that is illegal, or to witness there?  You will say that those are things commanded in the Bible, but I would ask whether it is not commanded in the Bible to feed and protect your family.  Does it not say that the one who does not provide for his own family is worse than an unbeliever (1 Timothy 5:8)?  You will quibble, and I certainly have not made an exact comparison, but maybe you should pause and reconsider.  Are the laws you defend just?  Does God call for you to defend all of the laws of this (or any) country?  As one Latino brother in Christ said, "Do they think we LIKE running across the desert?!" Nay, it is of necessity.  Do not "shut up" your "bowels of compassion" before you have had the opportunity to interact and feel the need and pain of your brothers and sisters!  And especially remember that many of these immigrants are in Christ together with you and me; do not judge rashly for they stand before the same Judge and call Him Father and Savior and Lord!  Search the Scriptures, my friends; and if you desire some aid, read Dr. Carroll's book.

   Incidentally, my previous post concerning The Good Mexican was spawned by a comment Dr. Carroll made in a sermon at Providence Bible Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment