...observations and ramblings from a learner and traveler...

16 June 2013

The Obscured Origin of English Grammar



English doesn’t borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.
― James Nicoll


I can't say that I haven't felt the sentiment which inspired this quote as I've taught, or tried to teach, over the last weeks or months. The area which this quote, or its more colorful cousin which concerns English vocabulary and is found in other places online, does not cover is spelling. English orthography (spelling) seems to me and to my Turkish friends and students to be a most unnecessary hinderance to learning the English language.

See, Turkish has nearly perfect orthography.  Certainly, there are some aspects of pronunciation which are not demonstrated in the letters; and while native speakers often don't recognize it, there are some pronunciation differences in practice; but at least the letters all stay in their own region of the ballpark.

Having said all that, thanks to the various English teachers who invested in my learning the boulevards and alleyways of the English language. Your insights are still useful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment