...observations and ramblings from a learner and traveler...

06 October 2013

Baseball Heaven or Heavenly Baseball?

  This morning I was pondering on whether it was really okay for me to be this fervent in my support for the Atlanta Braves.  See, there's a difficulty in my life that has made me realize how much I care for the aforementioned team: I live seven time zones away from Turner Field, which means games usually start around 2:10AM where I am.  It's the postseason now, and the Braves are in!  I can't really imagine being up at that hour of the night to watch the game unfold unless maybe it's Game 7 of the World Series; however... I have woken up early (no alarm) to find out results both games so far.

  So, where is the line in a Christian's life where something that is good can become an idol, more important than obedience, wisdom, or relationship?  I was giving thought to that in my life, but I also wanted to think through the fact that sports are equated to the Christian life multiple times in Scripture, so what might I learn about heavenly truth from this earthly gift of baseball?  A few thoughts that occurred to me, in baseball terms:

1.  If you know that your team will win, then being the pitcher who gets pounded in the middle innings is less difficult because you are still going to be a winner!

 2. If you live for the win and the end is assured, you simply play to do your part well, not to be either the savior or the scapegoat.  

3.  Our performance will not be a deciding factor in the outcome that makes us winners, but it will definitely be related to the individual awards received.   

Play, in such a way that you may win!

GO BRAVES!

No comments:

Post a Comment