...observations and ramblings from a learner and traveler...

26 September 2014

a variety of ways for looking at shame

  I have been actively learning about shame for a couple of years now, and I wanted to compile the resources I've gathered.  I've posted on the topic a couple times before, but I wanted to gather the resources in one place.

Video
- Brene Brown's 'Listening to shame' has been invaluable in my learning; first, you should listen to her first TED talk on vulnerability first.  This would be a wonderful way to spend your time; I've listened to them each multiple times.

Two Books 
- Roland Muller's Honor and Shame (summary) - This book is probably a great place to start on the basics of a shame-based culture.

- Ed Welch's Shame Interrupted - This book is a beautiful place to begin examining our own shame in light of God's Word or sharing God's hope to those who are in shame and despair

Blog posts 
- Scripture is about Our Shame - the basic Gospel story of shame

- Jesus the Shame-Bearer - thoughts on what Christ did for us

My Speculations
Law-based culture says something is wrong according to the group's rules.
Shame-based culture says something is wrong as it is negatively effects group members?
Fear-based culture says something may have bad consequences for the individual or group?

Empathy is the antidote to shame.  Brene Brown

Related post:
Honor, Shame, and Slanting Theology

No comments:

Post a Comment