...observations and ramblings from a learner and traveler...

15 August 2019

The Museum that Shocked Me

The first time I visited Turkey, my host dropped me off at the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations. I love history, and I was shocked to discover empires that I had never heard of. I've always wanted to go back with a little more knowledge. This summer I got to go with my family (using the high-speed train)... I got to expose the kids to empires that had come and gone before the time of Abraham. Amazing! Below is a slightly blurred picture of one of my daughters observing a replica of an ancient Hittite monument depicting their gods and lions. I hope her world expanded!

13th Century Hittite monumental steele (replica; original in Konya province)

Artifacts believed to be from the 6th millenium BC

Stone knives can sound relatively harmless till you see them!
dated 6th millenia BC

Seals or stamps from the same timeframe

Check out the block of obsidian for chipping knives off of! 

 



a Hittite "holy cow"

 Remember King Josiah?
A steele from Carchemish, dated 900-700BC.
See the inscription below.



There is a ton more to see, but these were some of my favorites from a few sample empires.


No comments:

Post a Comment