...observations and ramblings from a learner and traveler...

20 April 2008

The farming experience

Well, I promised an update with pictures, so here it is.

I spent 8 days at a farm about 3 hours away from Istanbul. It was a time during which I did a lot of good hard farm work, but on the other hand there was lots of time in the evenings for reading and relaxing.
The area is pretty enough, but the sunsets were particularly nice. I didn't take any "people pictures" so all the pictures are just scenery.
We worked on artichoke, onions, leeks, garlic, peas, and quince. I read a novel, philosophy homework, and am working my way through more of H. Taylor's biography, which is excellent.

Tomorrow I should be headed back to school. :) But Wednesday is a public holiday, and next week is spring break, so even that is on somewhat of a pause right now. But there will be things to do, hopefully I can tell you about those whenever they happen... since I don't necessarily know what they are yet.

For more pictures, you can visit here.

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious. You say that "We worked on artichoke," etc. Who is "we", and how did you come to volunteer at a farm three hours from Istanbul?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We" is myself and the three Turkish workers who work there full time.

    I heard about the concept of working on a farm as a volunteer a long time ago... don't really remember how. Anyways, it took a lot of figuring out, but eventually the arrangements were able to be made through the group that arranges for the volunteers to be placed in the various places.

    ReplyDelete