...observations and ramblings from a learner and traveler...

15 March 2014

Visiting the city of Van

Several weeks ago, I got to visit a new city here in Turkey, which is actually a very old city.  It just happens to be the first I've visited there.  Because the girls were with me, I didn't get to explore in detail, and there's much more to see.  But at least we got to see the old castle, the site of the old city and Lake Van, which is pretty, though I didn't get a picture of it.

Van's old fortress can be seen at the end of the street

Van fortress with a restored mosque's minaret also visible

An ancient inscription from much earlier versions of the fortress

With the girls at the old city of Van, originally Tushpa capital of the Urartian kingdom
  There's lots of other stuff to see in the area.  Soon, a new museum should be finished with lots of ancient artifacts; there's an old cathedral on an island out in the lake, and Mount Ararat is not too far away.  It's a great place to visit, and I will hope to go back someday and keep seeing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment