...observations and ramblings from a learner and traveler...

31 August 2007

A day of random wanderings that started with a simple quest

  So, yesterday, my wanderings started with going to a book exchange and trading in two books (and some money) for two new books; plus, I bought a book that someone else had come to exchange since it was one I was looking for and was significantly cheaper that way. Next I wandered off with the intention of going to Istanbul University and seeing if I could find any advertisements for students needing a roommate there. But it was closed.


In my wanderings trying to find "The Old Book Bazaar", I came across the following items:









This first picture is a set of ancient columns that has had a small perimeter put around them; the second picture is a set of columns lying right beside the first ones but without any care. This country has pieces of history literally lying around that in "normal" places would be the centerpieces of museums. This is particularly evident when you see what's lying around outside museums because they only put the best stuff up inside. :)

After finding the Old Book Bazaar and examining it, I went down to a section of town that I hadn't really seen much of before even though it's only about a 10-15 minute walk from here. It has the Armenian Patriarchate and the Church of the Virgin Mary that were interesting to look at. Also, the area has a particularly high population of immigrants and refugees and seemed like an area with very needy people.

1 comment: