...observations and ramblings from a learner and traveler...

17 August 2007

update... 15-17/8/07

Well, as I told a friend, I am basically using the blog as my journal. As it is, the days flow together without the picture documentary. So, here goes again. Picking up where we left off with Wednesday:
Wednesday, Trevor and I got a late start and saw the Suleiman Mosque. It was quite nice, not too elaborate, but very impressive. (I can't get vertical pics to upload right, so bear with the less impressive horizontal ones.)
Other than that the day was very random with one last experience of Istanbul's high life that evening at a nice restaurant. Now, I am back to being a very happily average person.

Thursday: explorations near the post office area of town (the most incredible post office I've ever seen, complete with domes, columns, and stained glass). While there I made sure of various post-office related things as well as found out the details for receiving mail.

Thursday evening: Ultimate Frisbee... with pictures this time (for those who griped, even internally).

Today was the Istanbul Archeology Museum, which had some fascinating relics.
The best one was probably the Alexander Sarcophagus which was quite impressive. (Alexander the Great is depicted on it, not buried in it.)
There are actually three museums in the complex. You can see them all for about $4; we saw probably half the stuff in them.

That's about it for now. We've done a lot of smaller stuff, had good cultural meals, and continued learning.
If you play find Matthew in the picture, you might have a challenge, but I am there.

4 comments:

  1. thanks for the pictures! and i wasn't complaining, i was commenting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Whatever... you were complaining. I can tell by the way the font displayed on my screen. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matthew,

    Your Aunt Arlina told me about your blog. Now I can really keep track of you!

    Sylvia & Gene

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't see your pictures. *sniffles* But it sounds like you're getting well acclamated. The post office sounds fantastic! Why don't we have post offices like that here? We're so dull. Lol!

    -Frank

    ReplyDelete