...observations and ramblings from a learner and traveler...

22 August 2007

Hmm, negligence in posting is bad

So, apparently, it has been about 5 days since I posted; I knew I was behind, but I had no idea it was that bad. That means that you get a sketch of what's happened rather than detailed explanation. :)
Saturday was more Ultimate Frisbee, as well as discussion time on the housing situation. That is a currently developing subject, which I need wisdom to figure out what's best.
Sunday, I tried join an assembly, and it didn't work. The transportation system here is excellent; the problem is that I have not figured out how to do exact timing yet. I turned back at the point where I would have been half-hour late to the one hour service. I ended up doing some personal study and then spent time with some friends. That evening two friends and I decided to go to a hamam, a Turkish bath. It was a worthy decision. It is like a sauna, with a shower, and a social activity all wrapped into one. One of my friends was Dutch and the other was British. Then, we had supper nearby (much cheaper than in our tourist trap), and we decided to walk home.
Well... we walked into a wedding which was apparently a large community affair. Several streets were filled with people playing instruments, eating, and generally having fun. It was quite interesting, and we were glad we saw it.

Monday, I decided that I needed to pinpoint the actual location of the school where I am supposed to be studying Turkish (starting next Wed.) I had tentative directions, and so I decided to just spend the morning exploring that section of town and trying to find the spot while exploring. It is the heart of Istanbul's commercial districts, or so I'm told.
After about an hour and a half, I found the school. Then I had lunch, and decide to continue exploring. So, after seeing Taksim Square which is an important landmark, I headed down to Beshiktash by bus to take care of a very minor point of business. There I ended up talking to a Turkish soldier for about an hour and a half. So, my Turkish vocabulary gained some words as we tried to communicate. Then, I walked home, enjoying seeing the city from a different perspective and learning about various aspects of it that I hadn't known.
Yesterday was spent doing very minor things, reading, catching up on some sleep, playing ultimate frisbee, and a little more exploring. Today I need to do some more running around and exploring, plus I am supposed to meet a prospective landlord at 6:30. I have other vague possibilities as well, so I'm going to have a lot of sorting through to do to make the right decision.

2 comments:

  1. Matthew,

    So glad you are posting. I enjoy reading and seeing your adventures. I think of you quite a bit as I am getting settled myself here in Minneapolis. Press on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll pray you make a wise decision.

    So you've been accepted to the university?

    ReplyDelete